Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Most Beautiful Sight


Yesterday, January 9th, I had my first ultrasound with this baby. I was so nervous all day before the appointment. Especially once I laid down on the table and the ultrasound tech poured the jelly on my stomach. The last time I had an ultrasound was the day that we found out that Ian's heart had stopped beating and that he was no longer with us. I prayed fervently as the tech moved the probe around. Please God let this baby have a heartbeat. Please please please. I can't handle another loss. Please.
And then I saw it. The most beautiful thing I've seen -- a teeny tiny little heart and it was pumping. Pumping hard and fast, doing everything its supposed to do! 172 bpm. My baby is alive and is thriving! Is there anything greater? I don't think so. I can't really ask for anything more right now.

The rest of the appointment went well. The baby is measuring just about 9 weeks, so I'm keeping my original due date as August 15th unless the doctor says otherwise. The doctor said that I've made it through my first hurdle, and that was getting through the first 8 weeks since I've already had a loss. Next hurdle of course is 17 weeks which is when we lost Ian. They're going to be keeping good tabs on this baby and my pregnancy. I'll have lots of ultrasounds and testing and after about 24 or 26 weeks they'll be watching the baby's growth and checking fluid levels. I'm at risk for Intrauterine Growth Retardation (IUGR) as well as pre-eclampsia, pre-term labor and placental abruption. Hopefully I won't have to worry about any of these complications. I have full faith in God that He will protect me and this baby.

Oh and next ultrasound is scheduled for Monday January 22nd!

No comments: